Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sausage and Lentil Soup

My very favorite sausage and lentil soup is at Carrabbas. At a time that I lived no where near a Carrabas, I searched high and low for a recipe that was even close to how delish their soup is. After many attempts, I finally came across this. It isn't the same but it is close! I loved this with the artisan bread below.

Sausage and Lentil soup
(This makes a ton, enough to serve about 10, I would guess)

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
6 cups chicken broth, we always add about 2 more
2-14.5 oz cans petite diced canned tomatoes, undrained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t salt
2 cups dry lentils, rinsed
black pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, parsley, and thyme to taste (dried or fresh)

Brown sausage, drain grease. Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Add more chicken broth or water to desired consistency. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. My husband loves sausage, though I am not a huge fan, so I am always looking for recipes that will make him happy and that I dont mind eating either. I have to say that this looks and sounds REALLY good...I cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely delicious, socks are off, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...